Sunday, November 7, 2010

Trick or Treat?


Kayla Mancuso
An adrenaline rush is believed to be the cause of many heroic acts. Even acts of survival. During Halloween weekend, this was the case for two female Manhattan College students. Their adrenaline rush saved them from a kind of terror that is not welcome, not even on Halloween.  
On October 29, two Manhattan College Students (who have requested to remain nameless) were on their way home from a pre-Halloween Party. Dressed in baby costumes, the roommates were walking along Broadway around three o’clock in the morning.
Approximately five blocks away from the Horan dorm, the blonde and the brunette student noticed a tall man wearing a grey New York Giants t-shirt was walking towards them. Everything seemed normal, just another person walking alone Broadway. 
As most Manhattan College students do, the two girls stopped in the Diner Short Stop before heading back to the dorms. It was just another Friday night in Short Stop having conversations with friends about the night’s events.  
After about 15 minutes, the two girls decided it was time to head back. As they were walking back, the brunette was overcome with a freaky suspicion that someone was following her. “Have you ever just had this feeling like someone was watching you?” she explained. As she turned her head, she saw the reappearance of the New York Giants fan that they had seen earlier.
“I got a weird feeling in my stomach so I told my friend to walk a little faster. I looked back and saw him running towards us,” the brunette explained.
She began to make a run for it and thankfully her roommate followed no questions asked. “I have never experienced an adrenalin rush like that before in my life,” she clarified.
As they crossed the cobble stone path towards Horan Hall, they began to walk faster and faster. Once they picked up their pace, so did the Caucasian male with dirty blonde hair, which the girls described as a man in his late 20’s early 30’s.
With Horan Hall in sight, they did not slow their stride until they knew that he was no longer following them.
The blonde student was at first oblivious to what was happening. “When we [left] the diner I did not notice anything except [my friend] acting worried,” she claimed. She basically just followed her friend’s lead and trusted her judgment.   
Once the brunette led her friend to safety, one thing was running through her mind: what would have happened if we didn’t get away?
 “While taking the elevator up to my room my heart was racing, my body was shivering, and I couldn’t control the tears coming out of my eyes. I continuously replayed the image of him coming towards us in my head. I will never walk alone again!”  

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, we need to issue all women a handgun when they turn … 14? OK, maybe 15. When did pioneer children learn to shoot?

    http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/crime/4967-hoplophobia-is-curable

    *** begin quote ***

    Gun control is the theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

    *** end quote ***

    ReplyDelete